Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Hydrangea Envy

One of my first purchases for Huckleberry Hill was a hydrangea. I eagerly awaited the day I would have flowers and I was sooooo excited when it bloomed. Unfortunately, my tree never prospered and it did not survive this last winter.

I have a different type of hydrangea in the backyard which had a history of blooming so I pinned my hopes on that little bush. Last year, the deer came through and ate my flowers. This year, as you can see, there are NO blooms at all.

For years I've wanted a huge hydrangea bush with big mop head flowers that I could cut and hang to dry. I had "hopes". The buds are green, the flowers white, and in the fall, the white blossoms get a pinkish tan tinge. They look lovely in a display when they've been dried. This is the hydrangea across the road. I think I may need to take my secateurs on a midnight raid. When is the next full moon?


Just look at this bloom. Did you hear that sound? It was me .. sighing.


5 comments:

JacksDad said...

I used to have one of those in my backyard back East, but it never got as big as the ones we had growing up.

You had coyotes in CT??? Wow!

The 'splorin' Wolfies said...

i have no luck with plants--i always end up killing them somehow..

My Mind's Eye said...

That is one beautiful bush...it has been there a while. You have definitely had a time trying to get yours perform. Maybe next year if you can keep the wildlife away. A midnight trip across the street might be in order....

countryliving said...

Oh my.......
I think if you wait for a full moon others may see your nite time raid........be careful!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Wow...another thing I miss in the Northeast...I am so glad I can live vicariously through you!!! :-)

Beth in Austin